The Serpent Is Rising is the third album by American band Styx, released in October 1973, a mere three months after their previous album Styx II in July 1973. The album was reissued in 1980 with new artwork and a new title, Serpent. The album peaked at on the Billboard 200, their second-lowest charting album, and as of 2007 has sold fewer than 100,000 copies worldwide. Described as a loose concept album, The Serpent Is Rising contains a number of sexual innuendos.
The Serpent Is Rising' was the second Styx album I ever bought and it has been in my possession for just barely over a year. After 'The Grand Illusion', I could have picked any of the more highly rated classic albums, but I really didn't know much about the band and wasn't sure where to go next.
The Serpent Is Rising is the 3rd album of Styx. Witch Wolf" (J. Young, R. Brandle) – 3:57. The Grove of Eglantine" (DeYoung) – 5:00. Young Man" (J. Young) – 4:45. As Bad as This" (J. Curulewski) – 6:10. As Bad as This" - 3:45. Plexiglas Toilet" (Hidden Track) - 2:22. Winner Take All" (D. DeYoung, C. Lofrano) – 3:10. 22 Years" (J. Curulewski) – 3:39. Jonas Psalter" (D. DeYoung) – 4:41. The Serpent Is Rising" (J. Curulewski, C. Lofrano) – 4:55.
The Serpent Is Rising. Written-By – Lofrano, Curulewski. Written-By – Krause, Curulewski, Beaver. The Serpent Is Rising (LP, Album). Wooden Nickel Records. The Serpent Is Rising (LP, Album, RE).
Album The Serpent Is Rising (1973). Label Wooden Nickel Records.
The Serpent Is Rising - Студийный альбом от Styx. В альбом вошло 13 треков. Продолжительность альбома: 51:18. The Grove Of Eglantine. The Serpent Is Rising. Styx - Born For Adventure. This Old Man. Styx - The Serpent Is Rising.
The Serpent is Rising is Styx’s third album, and has a sound that is quite different from the Styx most people have heard. Serpent boasts a much more hard-rocking sound than other Styx releases, even going into heavy metal territory at times. This will come as a surprise and will catch pretty much anyone, whether they are a hater or fan of Styx, completely off guard. Take the opener, for example. Witch Wolf is a hard rock song complete with a foot-stomping guitar/synth riff, numerous guitar solos, and an excellent chorus with the traditional Styx harmonized vocals, and organ backing
Tracklist Hide Credits
Written-By – Young*, Brandle*
|A2||The Grove Of Eglantine
Written-By – DeYoung*
Written-By – J. Young*, R. Young*
|A4||As Bad As This
Written-By – Curulewski*
|B1||Winner Take All
Written-By – Lofrano*, DeYoung*
Written-By – Curulewski*
Written-By – DeYoung*
|B4||The Serpent Is Rising
Written-By – Lofrano*, Curulewski*
Written-By – Krause*, Curulewski*, Beaver*
|B6||Hallelujah Chorus (From Handel's "Messiah")
Written-By [Uncredited] – Händel*
- Recorded At – Paragon Studios
- Mastered At – Sterling Sound
- Pressed By – RCA Records Pressing Plant, Indianapolis
- Manufactured By – RCA
- Distributed By – RCA
- Published By – Wooden Nickel Music
- Published By – Parathon, Inc.
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Wooden Nickel Records, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – RCA Records
- Arranged By – Styx (tracks: A1 to A4, B 3 to B6)
- Art Direction – Joseph Stelmach*
- Bass, Vocals – Chuck Panozzo
- Concept By [Serpent] – Chuck Lofrano*
- Drums, Steel Drums, Xylophone, Vocals – John Panozzo
- Electric Guitar, Twelve-String Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Synthesizer, Vocals – John Curulewski
- Engineer [Recording] – Barry Mraz
- Guitar, Vocals – James Young
- Illustration – Tim Clark
- Keyboards, Synthesizer, Vocals – Dennis DeYoung
- Producer – Barry Mraz, Styx
- Saxophone – Bill Traut (tracks: B2)
NotesCover has BXL1-0287 cat #
Labels have BWL1-0287 cat #
Runouts have BWL1 with crossed out W and inserted X above the W
RE printed at bottom left of front cover
RE 2 printed at bottom left of back cover
A1 to B4, B6 Published by Wooden Nickel Music (ASCAP);
B5 - Wooden Nickel Music and Parathon, Inc. (ASCAP)
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (A Side Etch exc X, ɪ, Sterling, "A2" stamps): BW̶XL 1-0287 A-5 ɪ sᴛᴇʀʟɪɴɢ A2B
- Matrix / Runout (B Side Etch exc X, ɪ, Sterling, "A3" stamps): BW̶XL 1̶0287 B -2 ɪ sᴛᴇʀʟɪɴɢ A3N
- Rights Society: ASCAP
|BXL1 0287||Styx||The Serpent Is Rising (LP, Album)||Wooden Nickel Records||BXL1 0287||Canada||1973|
|BXL1-0287||Styx||The Serpent Is Rising (LP, Album, Ind)||Wooden Nickel Records||BXL1-0287||US||1973|
|BWS1-0287||Styx||The Serpent Is Rising (8-Trk, Album)||Wooden Nickel Records||BWS1-0287||USA & Canada||1973|
|BVCM-35027||Styx||The Serpent Is Rising (CD, Album, RE, RM)||RCA, BMG||BVCM-35027||Japan||1999|
|BWL1-0287||Styx||The Serpent Is Rising (LP, Album)||Wooden Nickel Records||BWL1-0287||US||1973|